Thank you for your interest in the Coach Robb Sweat Rate Calculator! This important tool in the Coach Robb toolbox will put you one step closer in learning to Train Smart, Not Hard & Avoid Overtraining!
To utilize the sweat rate calculator correctly, simply follow the steps below:
- Weigh yourself prior to your workout without clothes and socks
- Weigh yourself immediately following your workout
- Enter the total number of ounces consumed during the workout
- For best results, enter your average heart rate (AHR) of your workout, maximum heart rate (MHR), and air temperature
Take all three variables and plug them into the Sweat Rate calculator and the spreadsheet will calculate your percentage of loss during your workout. Pay close attention to what that percentage is!
- If you lost more than 2% during the workout you are stepping into being dehydrated
- If you lost less than 1% during the workout you are stepping into being over-hydrated (also referred to as hyponatremia)
This small window of error is the difference between having a quality workout (or race) and a bad one because your body is constantly striving to maintain its core temperature, carry oxygen and nutrients to working muscle along with remove metabolic waste (i.e. lactic acid).
By consistently documenting your percentage of weight loss, quality of your workout or race (i.e. average pace) and conditions (temperature, humidity, etc.), you will learn how to adjust your hydration strategies for optimum performance as your conditions change!